-
August 11th, 2008, 10:07 PM
#21
Senior Hostboard Member
If what you were saying is that 380 total horsepower is the most that's been put in any electric car, I'm certainly willing to grant that, at least pending other info.
There have been BTW similar motor designs, I am not entirely sure how well that patent is going to hold up in court.
A patent does nothing except give you the right to sue. The real issues are decided in the courts.
Anyway, repeated posting about how great that company is will accomplish absolutely nothing. I have just read way too many pieces written by the company itself. They have a vested interest in people believing in them, therefore I don't.
Who am I willing to believe? Maybe somebody like Consumer Reports, who accepts no advertising. Most publicatios any more the articles are sold ot "thrown in" with an advertising contract. It is incredibly hard to get accurate information.
Anyway, in a few years, Hydro Quebec will be successful or bankrupt. I am not arguing either way so much as saying, even if they HAVE a good product, which is still in doubt, it takes much more than that to be successful. I'm agnostic- show me and I will believe. Only time is going to do that.
Most likely 90% or better of new ideas will fail. And I suspect that to be conservative.
-
August 11th, 2008, 10:32 PM
#22
Senior Hostboard Member
OG
Anyway, in a few years, Hydro Quebec will be successful or bankrupt.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hydro-Qu?bec is a crown corporation that provides electricity to Quebec, Canada and the north-eastern parts of the United States. Hydro-Qu?bec's total installed capacity in 2005 was 35,190 MW, approximately 97% of which is from hydroelectric sources. Hydro-Qu?bec is the world's largest producer of hydroelectric power.
Type Crown Corporation
Founded Montreal, Quebec (1944)
Headquarters Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Key people Thierry Vandal, President & CEO
Industry Electricity generation
and distribution
Products Electricity
Revenue ▲$10.888 billion CAN (2006)
Employees 22,915 (2006)
One Of the many dams.

......................
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ August 11, 2008 07:46 PM: Message edited by: CONVERGENCE ]</font>
-
August 11th, 2008, 11:38 PM
#23
Inactive Member
-
August 12th, 2008, 06:39 AM
#24
Senior Hostboard Member
In a little town near here, there is/was a "Dam-Store" :-) There is a little dam nearby, but I'm not sure what it's for.
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ August 12, 2008 03:41 AM: Message edited by: Audio_by_Goodwill ]</font>
-
August 13th, 2008, 01:50 AM
#25
Senior Hostboard Member
There was a pub here calle "Dam Site", by a dam on the river obviously. Only saving grace was the female beach volleybal they brought in. I enjoy watching girls in bikinis much more than say, a bunch of football players.
Convergence, that's a nice dam. But it has nothing to do with making a car work.
I simply won'r argue anymore. There is no argument, what is going to happen will happen, you and I won't have a lot to do with it.
Just understand, why our positions are different is you read the site and believe in it, my past experience is most rosy predictions fail. Just understand we have different viewpoints, I am cynical about advertising, which is all that site is. You are not. It just doesn't matter, neither of us can prove we are right no matter how many oictures of what we post.
Their idea will work, or not. Even if everything on that page comes true, which it certainly won't, it's only part of the solution, not the solution. The problem is way more complex than one idea can solve.
Sadly, a lot of people in the world it looks like will go hungry because we are making a bad trade of food for fuel. Most of the subsidies to farmers aren't ending up in farmer's pockets, but in the hands of agribusiness. Politics get into everything, usually to the detriment of everybody.
Every change has it's repercussions.
-
August 13th, 2008, 02:51 AM
#26
Inactive Member
OG the point of the dam is that it's not a small company that's going to go under in a couple of years. Probably similar in size and resources to something like Enron before Enron happened. It gives the idea a little more clout than if it was some inventor's pipe dream. Obviously there are the resources there and the technology to develop this sort of thing and support it.
I'm not going to get into the speculation argument of whether or not it's going to succeed since nobody knows one way or the other anyway, but I don't see any harm in hoping.
Dave
-
August 13th, 2008, 07:23 AM
#27
Senior Hostboard Member
Hi,
For decades our State Government supported various Coal to Oil conversion programs. Seems to me as being more successful in the PR arena than in the real world. If they were successful in their endeavours they would still have to address the issues involved in using oil as an energy source. Development programs are not always intended to produce stated results and benefits. Our memories are short and those responsible for such programs have moved on or baffle us with spin. Hey, haven't we been warned about pollution, resource consumption and global warming for over thirty years? Whose traditional interests would suffer if corrective action was initiated in that time? Denying, obfuscation, delaying, then presenting as prophets of controlled and slow change seems to be successful in keeping the established power elite in charge of planet change. Would you really expect anything else?
Have a nice day,
Marshall.
-
August 13th, 2008, 03:06 PM
#28
Inactive Member
Originally posted by O G:
... Most of the subsidies to farmers aren't ending up in farmer's pockets, but in the hands of agribusiness. Politics get into everything, usually to the detriment of everybody...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So, so very true. I watched it occur on a small scale from the farm I grew up on.
Nowhere is it more blatantly conspicuous than in the vast acreages of rice and cotton in eastern Arkansas, owned entirely by a small handful of corporate "farmers" who over the years have installed politicians whose only purpose is to create legislation that benefits them and destroys their competition. I used to think it was the inevitable finale of capitalism, but now I know it's merely political entrepreneurship, where crooked corporations own crooked politicians and eliminate their competitors with crooked laws rather than fair competition in a free market.
There is only one solution when the government is owned by the wealthy...bullets to the brainpans... The alternative is slavery and starvation.
-
August 13th, 2008, 09:34 PM
#29
Senior Hostboard Member
Originally posted by selmerdave:
OG the point of the dam is that it's not a small company that's going to go under in a couple of years. Probably similar in size and resources to something like Enron before Enron happened. It gives the idea a little more clout than if it was some inventor's pipe dream. Obviously there are the resources there and the technology to develop this sort of thing and support it.
I'm not going to get into the speculation argument of whether or not it's going to succeed since nobody knows one way or the other anyway, but I don't see any harm in hoping.
Dave
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No problem at all. Without hope, not much reason to keep going.
It's just I see press releases being presented as fact, felt obligated to point that out.
There were some claims made in addition that I too exception to.
Speaking of which, an article on CNN website about a new bacteria that eats waste products and poops diesel. Worth a read if you need a grin. The technology works on a small scale, the question is can it be scaled up.
-
August 14th, 2008, 09:16 PM
#30
Senior Hostboard Member
I would like to show all of Hydro Quebed dams generating power plant. The list is to long.
Water-resource system Aux-Outardes
Outardes-2 generating station
Outardes-3 generating station
Outardes-4 generating station
Water-resource system Bersimis
Bersimis-1 generating station
Bersimis-2 generating station
Water-resource system Churchill river
Churchill Falls generating station
Water-resource system Gatineau and Lower Outaouais
Baskatong reservoir
Bryson generating station
Cabonga generating station
Cabonga reservoir
Carillon generating station
Chelsea generating station
Chute-des-Chats
Hull-2
Paugan
Rapides-Farmers
Water-resource system La Grande Rivi?re
Brisay generating station
Caniapiscau reservoir
EOL reservoir
La Grande-1 generating station
La Grande-2-A generating station
La Grande-3 generating station
La Grande-4 generating station
Laforge-1 generating station
Laforge-2 generating station
Robert-Bourassa generating station
Water-resource system Manicouagan
Hart-Jaune generating station
Manic-1 generating station
Manic-2 generating station
Manic-3 generating station
Manic-5 generating station
Manic-5-PA generating station
Water-resource system Mitis
Mitis-1 generating station
Mitis-2 generating station
Water-resource system Upper Outaouais
Dozois reservoir
Premi?re-Chute generating station
Rapide-2 generating station
Rapide-7 generating station
Rapides-des-?les generating station
Rapides-des-Quize generating station
Water-resource system Rivi?re Ha! Ha!
Lac-Robertson generating station
Water-resource system Saint-Fran?ois
Chute-Hemmings generating station
Drummondville generating station
Water-resource system St-Laurence river
Beauharnois generating station
Des C?dres generating station
Rivi?re-des-Prairies generating station
Water-resource system Saint-Maurice
Beaumont generating station
Gouin reservoir
Grand-M?re generating station
La Gabelle generating station
La Tuque generating station
Rapide-Blanc generating station
Saint-Narcisse generating station
Shawinigan-2 generating station
Shawinigan-3 generating station
Trenche generating station
................
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28222319 times.
Bookmarks